Hi! I’m Jen Finelli, and I’m a world-traveling, award-nominated author and screenwriter deeply in love. My science fiction funds real-life superhero activities through various charities and adventures in austere and under-privileged medicine. Because I’m a licensed physician, and doctors are weird, I try to write things that make people leak bodily fluids. Like tears of hope. Or “OMG-THAT-WAS-AWESOME-I-JUST-WET-MY-PANTS.” Or the inspired sweat of fighting for what matters.
Explosive things, kind superheroes, crude secret agents, sparkly fairies, biochemistry, guns, facts, and offensive gods show up in my pages, and sometimes that gets me published or gets me money or gets me in trouble. You can find my interactive resume below, but if you want to get to know me a little, or tell me about the things YOU like, you should follow me on twitter. You’ll get a free short story if you do. You should DEFINITELY get on my e-mail list for a weekly short story, starting with a chance to fight a mermaid. Sometimes I also share secret opportunities and codes I steal for you.
Let’s change the world together.
Interactive Resume And Writing Samples
Job Objective: To share the story that can save the world.
Award-nominated screenwriter and world-traveling science fiction writer with real-world experience as a doctor, autism therapist, reporter, ghost, and nunnery-escapist.
Selected Awards (byjenfinelli.com/media-appearances for complete listing)
- Screencraft Animation Competition Semi-Finalist, 2019
- Screencraft Cinematic Book Contest Semi-Finalist, 2018
- Screencraft Comedy Screenplay Contest Quarter-Finalist, 2017
- I See You Awards Nominee, 2017
- Screencraft Short Story Contest Quarter-Finalist, 2017
- Beverly Hills Screenplay Contest Finalist, 2016
- Austin Film Festival, Second Rounder: Top 15% of scripts, 2016
- Writers of the Future Scifi Contest Honorable Mention, 2013 and 2016
- The Neodymium Chronicles, multi-book novel series published by Wordfire Press, 2020-current
- Apocalypse Medicine, published by the Untold Podcast,2019
- I’m Having an Affair With My Wife, film sold to Dead Laurels Productions, 2017
- Becoming Hero, independent YA novel/comic (4.5 stars on Amazon), 2017
- Whipping the Dead, sold to Pantheon’s Mnemosyne, 2017
- The Different People, picture book; original publishing deal with E-Treasures Press, 2017
- Hierro, sold to The Crossover Alliance Superhero Anthology, 2017
- Welcome to the Adrenaline Age, sold to The Overcast Podcast, 2016
- To Refuse Blood, published in The Untold Podcast, 2016
- Brain Worms and White Whales, sold to Escapepod.org, 2015
- The Ink Android, sold to Beorh Weekly, 2015
- I am Disease, published in the Bleed horror anthology by PMM Publishing, 2013
- Codex Writing Group Member
- Critters.org member since 2010
- Member of the Dark Literature Guild
Strangulation Protocol in Sexual Assault Patients. Developed with 2ID Camp Humphreys SAMFE Coordinator; recommended to LTC Moore for 3BCT SOP, 2019.
Does curcumin reduce pain in patients with knee osteoarthritis? With Bybel, Michael. Published in Evidence-Based Practice, Volume 23, Number 3, FPIN HDA March 2020, Pg. 17-18
Twist Ending: Chronic Intermittent Volvulus After Gastric Bypass. With Meyers, Garrett, et al. Case report poster presented by team member at USAFP, 2019.
- Molsoft CD-44 Simulation, UVA Biochem. Selected for publication with textbook: Biochemistry by Garrett and Grisham, 2010. More information here.
Paid Blogging Employment
- Insertquarterly.com video game rag
- Permaculture Research Institute of Australia blog
2012-2013 returning contributor paid pro-rate to all of the above; follow links to view samples.
Scripted.com, Fall 2011-present
With Scripted worked as paid ghost-blogger for Scienceexchange.com, TripAdvisor.com, Elsevier, Comprehend Systems, ShopWell, WellAware, OnTargetJobs Health, Docstoc, GiftWhip, walkingtrips.com, Wellness Healing Mayan Medicine, medicationdiscountcard.com, FoxTranslate, and many, many others.
Ghostwritten, Published Books – client recommendations available
Full-length autobiography, 2013
3 ‘Cliffnotes’-style e-books summarizing great literature, 2013
Health food research e-book, 2013
- Daily Caller
- USAToday (Link defunct, DemandMedia article sample about Colorado tourism available upon request)
- Examiner.com (Link defunct, article samples about local tulip festivals and healthy eating available upon request)
Contributor/Freelancer, Jan. 2012-Oct. 2014, covering topics ranging from racial disparity investigative reporting to local “feel good” pieces about food and health.
Human Events, Washington, D.C., Sept. 2011-Dec. 2012
Full-time G&P associate editor and HE investigative reporting intern. Covered legislation, corruption, healthcare, and foreign affairs. Increased G&P twitter following by nearly 50%
Original Academic Research
Chinese History Wedding Traditions, UVA East Asian History, Spring 2011
First research of its kind in this subject area. Available upon request.
Medieval History Marriage Traditions, UVA Medieval History, Fall 2010
Reviewed primary-source cases in medieval England to investigate reasons for marriages
Necrotizing Fasciitis Review, UVA Biomedical Engineering, Spring 2010
Co-Author, Synthesized up-to-date information on etiology, and cures for “flesh-eating bacteria”
Education and Closing Summary
Ponce School of Medicine Class of 2017; University of VA History BS, Biomedical Engineering Minor, with research experience in history and science; almost perfect score on MCAT Verbal (14/15) and score R on MCAT Written Sections
Languages: Spanish (fluent) with translation experience; German (comfortable); Japanese (minimal speaking); Danish (comprehension); French (reading)
- Publication highlights: byjenfinelli.com
- Film: mysweetaffair.com
- Comic: http://becominghero.ninja
- Awards: byjenfinelli.com/media-appearances/
- Activism: becominghero.ninja/category/superhero-alerts-become-a-hero/
- Fiction blog: http://petrepan.blogspot.com/
- Samples of academic history and health writing: http://thehownotto.blogspot.com/search/label/academic
I am a kerfuffle, but my Father loves me anyway.